Thursday, February 12, 2009

Allow me to introduce myself

Welcome to gamEstrogen, a blog about narrative and video games, as experienced from the perspective of a girl gamer/academic. Here's what I'm all about:

Who?
Currently I am a senior at Hamilton College, working on a "senior fellowship" project about narrative in video games. My background at the college has consisted of a double-major in computer science and creative writing. My personal background consists of a great deal of reading, writing, and gaming.

What?
This blog is intended as a way for me to share my current thoughts and research, in the hopes of reaching out to the academic game studies community (as well as the pop culture gaming community) for their thoughts, insights, and experiences, in the name of furthering the study and reputation of video games.

Why?

Because games deserve to be recognized for their academic and artistic merit - though the medium is in its infancy, there is much that can be accomplished with the unique tools it has to offer. Video games do not deserve their reputation as "mindless" diversion - in fact they're very interesting and worthwhile diversions, as books and films are. They just need a few good champions to demonstrate that to the rest of the world.

How?
How do you pronounce the name of my blog? Well, there are a number of ways. Personally, I prefer game-strogen, although I would also accept game-estrogen. It should definitely not be gam-strogen, however, nor gam-estrogen. That would just be silly.

No comments:

Post a Comment